Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Oh, Bill...

Generally when I wake up in the morning, the first thing that goes through my head is something negative… Usually multiple things… Not sure why that is, maybe that's just what being cranky is. I'm a cranky riser in the morning… at least on weekdays… And the occasional Sunday (why does church start so early??). Today's negativity was aimed at Bill Maher… I know it's over a year after the fact, but I'm still mad about "Religulous"… Granted, I'm fully aware (and this is me speaking as a Christian) that organized religion has more than a few flaws… truthfully, it straight up makes me mad sometimes… But a flat out assault on believers is, especially one of this magnitude, is never in good taste. Especially when you're interviewing the more ignorant of the religious breed… and I won't lie, there are a lot of them.

Where I think the church has gone wrong: We've lost the message of love. Love the sinner, hate the sin. Nowadays it's just hate, condemn, judge and stew. I've been on both the receiving end of this as well as the other end… And what I can say is that neither leave you with any peace of mind. It's not our place to judge. It's certainly not our place to ever tell someone they're not acting in a Christian manner… as though anybody can truly claim to have it figured out.

Where the rest of the world has gone wrong: Continuing that train of thought (in regards to judgment), those outside the faith, to make a movie like "Religulous" is nothing more than stooping to the level of a few ignorant hypocrites within the church… To make a movie like this is in the same mindset. Judgment, hatred and bitterness.

As a believer, my opinions are obviously going to be a little one-sided… But let's be real. I believe in God… To take it a step further, I fear God. Not in the sense that I think He's going to jump out of my closet and eat me in the night while I sleep… But I fear Him in that I respect Him and know my place in the food chain of the unknown… I may have my gripes with the church, but I dare not make an attack on it of this magnitude, because at the end of the day, I believe the church to be God's people, and you don't mess with God's people. Ever.

Although I believe Bill Maher's film to be aimed more specifically at religious nuts and hypocrites, he's thrown the entire church into the mix… It's like lighting an orphanage on fire because one of its children is a bully.

Not saying we live in a time of plagues and death of the first-borns, but there is something to be said about "Karma" (for those who think of it in that way)...

All I'm just saying is I have no desire to provoke God…



Oh, Bill,
~ Mark

No comments:

Post a Comment