Saturday, March 13, 2010

Sonuva part XXI

Legacy. He is awesome.

I've been able to do a little bit of work this morning on "Legacy"... whom I still fear I'll have to change the name of... And that will sadden me. People are sue-crazy these days... I'm sure I'll be sued for saying that... I'm getting distracted. I completed two of his attacks.

I spent a good chunk of the morning (i.e. I planned in the shower) figuring out what exactly this fighter's capabilities are... I'm thinking his body will be a portal to Hades or something like that... If you look at the image on the left, you'll see one of his attacks which basically is an open portal with deathly hands reaching out... I thought that'd be pretty cool. Just affirm me... I can't live without acceptance. The tricky thing with this character is his size. Basically ducking for him will be useless, it's not like he can crouch beneath an attack... and if he jumps the same distance as the other characters his head will go off the screen. So really his attacks will have to be more creative and a lot more powerful to make up for his lack of movement. Goro basically had the same issue in Mortal Kombat. Also, the dilemma of size means that the other fighters won't be able to perform their finishers on him, the animations won't sync up... so the options are either create a second finisher for all the characters which would be specific to Legacy... or create one death animation for Legacy which would play whenever he is defeated... which would kinda' suck for me because my only gripe with the original Moral Kombat was that you couldn't finish Goro or Shang Tsung, they just fell over... or had a special death animation... Cop-outs.

Not all Legacy's moves will be power attacks like the one above. I gave him a basic head-butt... er head-ram... cause he has ram-horns... kind of. I may throw in a few generic punches as well. As I mentioned above, all his attacks will have to be standing assaults... but even this quick attack will pack a wallop... he is a mini-boss after all, mini-bosses are tough! ... so... yeah. I don't think there's much commentary needed for a head-butt. He hits the opponent with his head. It hurts.

Anyway, you can view his animations thus far here:

http://www.6amcomics.com/sonuva/legacy/update/

That's all I got for now, I'll keep cranking away at him though and update when I can. He's taking a lot longer than I expected... To be honest, this whole game is taking a lot longer than I expected. How do game developers do it?!

Seriously!
~ Mark

Creative Commons License
Sonuva by Mark Marianelli is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.

No comments:

Post a Comment