Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Son'Uva HUD work

In all the animation chaos I forgot to focus on one of the more important aspects of any fighting game... The HUD (Head Up Display). I figure the fight would just go on forever without a health meter or a time limit (a concept which I hate, but sadly must conform to for classic gaming's sake). I was struggling with where to go on this one, traditional boxes with a red and yellow bar, percentages, etc... I went with skulls, spines and tubing. I think it fits. Check it out:


So you'll notice in the above animation that there's a bunch of purple glowing orbs next to the health meters... The purpose of these is to represent how many more times the fighters can use their special moves... I've been referencing this concept since I started talking about the game and I really think it'll take the "cheap" factor out of the gaming experience... Preferably avoiding cheap nonsense like this.

Anyway, that's where I'm at. The only downside is that I have to illustrate each number on the timer... As you can see, I only had enough patience for the "2"... Maybe I'll do "3" tomorrow and make a REALLY useless blog about it...

I do anything for blog content,
~ Mark

Creative Commons License
Sonuva by Mark Marianelli is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.  

No comments:

Post a Comment